View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 AM
May in Jersey

Default Attenion New York City Quilters....

especially those in Brooklyn or Staten Island. Do you know of a shop that sells sewing machines? My sister lives in Brooklyn and is need of a new machine. She has been using a Singer she bought back in the 1970's and it has been a good machine but isn't up the amount of quillting she has been doing the past several years.

She would like to find a place where she can try out machines and/or take one home on a trial basis and also have some lessons provided for using the machine. You would think a boro as large as Brooklyn with 4 million people would have at least one quilt shop or sewing machine store but so far she hasn't found one. Joann's on Staten Island does sell machinesl but does not provide any customer service.

I know of at least one sort of nearby my area (meaning over an hour's drive) but she would like to buy from someplace closer to home. as it takes her over an hour to get to my house.

Are we way off base or are those services things of the past?

She did find a shop that sells and repair vacuums and sewing machines. They would order an Elna for her but if she didn't like the machine after using it a bit she couldn't return it, so his shop is out for her. He told her Pfaff makes Elnas for the US. Is that true?

Last edited by May in Jersey; 02-20-2012 at 09:25 AM.