Old 02-20-2012, 01:15 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
LOL! I think it is great that Joe has found a way to use all those cones we all have tons of for our sergers! But OK I confess even if Joe gets by using the serger thread I would never try using it to piece with. I know the serger cones are a much weaker made thread and I just can't see taking the chance after all the work, time, and expense that goes into a quilt top. But, I am anal and I know it! It is great to see people can go outside the box - I am just not one of those people! Besides, I took too many classes on thread and how thread is made. I also won't use the cheap Walmart type thread either because it is what the thread companies refer to as 'medlings" (spelling?), which is the thread that is swept up off the floor when making good thread - then made into thread. I will probably really get dinged for throwing this out there! I will hold some armor over my head before you all start yelling at me!

Nancy
Heehee....Okay Nancy knows from the last mini TOGA at Cathy's home that I'm a person that thinks outside the box and has the attitude of it looks good enough to me.

I'm enjoying this conversation on threads. Sometimes I just love to tests the waters or push that box, as I'm presently doing by experimenting with a thread for use in quilting.

I pieced the quilt I'm presently working on with the proper thread for the piece work. But, when it came time to match the right color grey thread to the fabric, all I could find is the Gutermann Toldi-Lock which is that thin thread you are talking about. I know it may not hold up in the quilting. I hemmed and hawed over should I use this or not, and my stupidity took over and won. Yes, I could have gone with a different color thread, but that was not the look I wanted. So, now I'm using this thread in my quilting. I'm running straight lines with two lines being about an 1/4 inch apart. This is a lap size quilt that will be used during the winter holidays only.

I figure worse comes to worse and the thread doesn't hold, I'll just re-quilt the dang thing.

Somewhere in any quilt's life the fabric and thread wears down and breaks, and then repairs need to be done or the quilt gets shelved away.

I don't want it to be next winter that I'm repairing this quilt; but if so, I'll let you all know.