Old 02-21-2012, 10:19 AM
jljack

Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post
Hi all,
I know, I know, Charlee got you all to wondering what's new in my world but I already spilled the beans in the title.

We have a local 'rag' called Uncle Henry's (UH) that is similar to Craigslist where folks buy, trade and sell. My dh's brother called yesterday to say he saw a 'White' treadle for sale in New Hampshire. Not that I need another machine but something made me hop onto the UH's website - btw, if you're not a subscriber, you only get to view some of the posts. I spied this machine. HOLY HANNAH!! I don't know much yet about A & V machines but I knew this machine doesn't come a dime a dozen (please pardon the cliche). I tried getting hold of my not-so-local mentor for her opinion and advice but imagine, she probably has a life :-) So a quick drive by the ATM for cash and we're off. The seller's asking price was $85. He was thrilled to hear I would be using her and not reselling it. The price agreed upon by the men left enough to pay our entrance into the dance last night - can you imagine?! I would have paid the $85 and split town so fast before the seller had a chance or wanted to renig.

She's a darling little thing and I can't wait to try her out. Dh found a length of belt (so I can skip the too-skinny pantyhose idea) so the only thing left to do is to get her slide plates opened and change the bobbin winder ring. We have her setting with some lub along the plate edges. If you have any suggestions, please, let me know. We have tried a dowel and rubber mallet and tapping in the finger groove but she's fairly locked in. The shuttle is in place. With the exception of the marring on the front slide plate she looks pretty darn good. Her table will need some work come spring time. The seller says there was a 'box of attachments and stuff' that is in the attic. He promised to try and locate it and call me with seven days. What a guy!

Enjoy!

And a huge 'Thank you and a hug' to my west coast friend, who wrote back 'OMG!! GO GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!

best,
d
WOW!!! Love this Davis....and the bobbin winder down by the big wheel is just amazing! I don't think I noticed that on others before. Did you get on the Davis VF Yahoo group? They will love to see this one, and don't forget to post the serial number and you can look at the chart they started to see where it falls for an idea of date. Wonderful!!