Old 02-21-2012, 05:07 PM
J Miller

Originally Posted by jrrotunno View Post
Glad it worked for you Joe. I am not really surprised. I learned to do this for buttonholes way back in the 60's when I was a teenager making garments. There was not much variety in thread in those days, and buttonhole twist was not readily available in colors a teenager wanted to use. The trick is truly the large eye needle. I have continued to do this through the years and it is also how I hem jeans sometimes. Gives a heavier thread look. Glad to hear it works on these older machines that I have recently fallen in love with!
Janyce
Janyce,

I just tried another successful experiment. I took two spools of Coats variegated thread and filled the bobbin with double thread. Then I threaded the top just like before. I wasn't sure the top thread would pick up the double bobbin thread but it did. And it sewed very nicely. So, I'm learning something new and interesting. When I finish my quilted machine cover I'm going to put 4 different colors of variegated thread in and use that. Should be a really pleasing outcome.

Glenn,

That's a really neat machine. I'd like to see it in action.

Joe