Old 02-21-2012, 07:28 PM
auntpiggylpn

Originally Posted by QuiltMe View Post
Hello Vi,
I have been quilting for 17 years but I am not a know-it-all but through my experience I would like to share my thoughts. 1. I always use 1/4 " seam allowances, less bulk when quilting. 2. Definitely use your walking foot even if there is no batting. 3. Why? Because flannel is squirrely, and it will assure the top and bottom fabrics are being pulled through equally. This prevents puckering. 4. Your tension should be fine unless you see it is not stitching the same on the front and back. 5. Stitch length 2.0- 2.2 is what I use on flannel. Now I have a question? Why no batting? Curious. I agree with the other gals ...it would make the quilt smoother and less bumpy. Also, I hope you are using non-flammable flannel since it is for a wee one. Happy Quilting! Peg
@ Quiltme - I have seen that you posted about non-flammable flannel a couple of times. I guess I am a little confused as to the importance of this. Is flannel more combustible than regular cotton? Does it burn easier? I don't know if I have ever seen non-flammable flannel. But then again, when making a 100% cotton baby quilt, I have never purchased non-flammable cotton or worried about non-flammable batting.