View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 04:10 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by MamaO2011 View Post
This President's Day weekend has been fun.

Friday, I won several online auctions for some great Moda charm packs I've had my eye on.

Saturday, DH encouraged me to go to a LQS about 40 minutes away (which isn't that far, considering where I live!) and spend some time building up my stash. I came away thinking I had found my LQS "home."

Sunday, I made two jelly roll race tops, and yes, ripped out the seam on that binding I sewed on wrong a week ago.

Today, I need interfacing for some Kindle covers, so I went off to JoAnn since I'm prior military and would get a 20% discount instead of just the 10%. I was waiting in line for cutting, and wandered over to the sewing tables. They had one for $269, which looked like it would work in my small space. Then I realized it was on sale for $161. And then I asked if I could use the 20% off for the table and the cashier said yes, so I became the owner of this:

http://www.joann.com/sew-essentials-...e/xprd1134127/

It's a big step up from the wobbly folding banquet table I have been using!

Best part is, I saved $187 and spent less than $170 for the desk, 10 yards of fabric, interfacing, thread and some odds and ends I need for the Kindle covers. I just realized that I need a proper cutting mat too (mine is only 12 inches), so I'm having hubby stop and get me a big one on his way home tonight. Let's hope the rest of the week goes so great!
I just wanted to tell you that I have this table. I love it. HOWEVER, watch for the edge where you set your sewing machine. It is very sharp and you have to keep kids and dogs away from it. Bess has bumped her head and I have bumped against it and scratched my arm. If you have some white duct tape or something, it might help. My work area is open when I am sewing and I leave it there until I am done. Then I clean up everything and close it up until I need it again. The sewing machine fits on the floor under the shelf in the front there. I don't use the back just because I don't have the room to pull it out and open it up. The drawer is kind of wonky as is the door. Make sure you remember to unlock the wheels in the front when you open and close it. I leave a little room on the "table" where the sewing machine goes and keep my scissors, my orange stick and a can of pop or glass of wine there when I am working! I do NOT use the table for a cutting board. I have my Olfa mat on the top - the 12x18 and that works absolutely perfect for me when I am cutting squares. I keep my cd player, my tool basket, my dog-ear bowl, pins, lamp and my "getting ready to bloom" amaryllis. I put it together myself. I figured if I was the one to use it, I wanted to put it together myself. It isn't hard, but you will realize that it isn't solid walnut!!!!!!!!! Which, if I had my druthers, I would much rather have, but being that I don't have a walnut sewing table, I am very happy with this one! The drawer is quite narrow (small) and don't plan on putting a whole lot of stuff in there - It just "ain't" gonna fit! But it does keep the stuff you don't use as often out of the way. Like candy and stuff!!!!! Enjoy your new sewing table. I do love mine!!!! It has become my second home. It is placed in front of the window facing east and I can see the sunrise, the neighbors walking their dogs or their children, greet them out the window in the summer. My husband gave it to me for Christmas, 2010. Enjoy. Edie