Thread: Container Tip?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 06:41 AM
kateyb

We use the coffee containers with the handles for dried beans and other food storage. I have always felt it wasn't necessary to buy matched containers to store things when empties could do the same thing. Most are in a cupboard and not seen anyway.
I use an empty kleenex box for small scraps and threads. Then that goes into my garden for the birds what they don't use gets tilled into the soil. Helps to break up the clay soil here.
Empty shoe boxes are great for storing the leftover squares and HST's. When they are full it will be enough for a scrap
lap quilt.
The boxes that have fold in flaps and round containers (such as oatmeal boxes) covered in fabric and batting scraps make great gift boxes. People will reuse them because they are pretty. They become part of the gift.
I have made cloth gift bags for years. (I hate wrapping packages. All that pretty paper just gets thrown away) My family loves them and they get recycled year after year. This last Christmas I used pretty tins with a ribbon for my gifts. I think those will now be going the rounds.