Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
OK Joe I see why you are getting by with the thread mess you are using! It is because you are using a 66 to do this testing! Those old gals will forgive anything, even a guy who really pushes the buttons! Really cool, by the way! That would be an awesome look for quilting, but I would not have the nerve to try it except with maybe one of the very 'old' gals! The problem with using the 66 is that you have to do straight line quilting because it does not drop its feed dogs! If I tried that in my HQ 16, I would probably ruin the machine - it is so touchy with tensions and thread already! Way to go Joe! We all know those 'old' gals were made to work and forgive even wayward guys for their indiscretions!

Nancy
Nancy,
I seem to have an attraction to the Singer 66s. I have 5 of them and a SEWMOR 404 that is more Singer 66 than anything else. And two 99Ks. Only one of those works. The other one is "in progress". I've been told that the horizontal drop in bobbin is a problem for the thread because the thread changes directions as it its pulled around the bobbin by the hook. But I have sewed on the #1 Singer 66 treadle with a very heavy upholstery thread and it did it. My wife said it wouldn't. My three electrics are some of the nicest sewing machines I have. They do one stitch, straight, and they do it very well.

I've decided that when I straight line quilt this machine cover I'm using I'm going to use four different variegated colors. Two on the top and two in the bobbin. I really like the way the threads come out when they twist as they go through the machine.

Joe