View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 08:19 PM
georgiagirlquilting

Default Sewing Machine Advice, I can't decide!

I have had several mid-range machines over the years and I am tired of paying $700 for machines and they just don't last. I have had Bernina and Singer, both computerized and expensive. The Bernina I had tuned up as part of the service when I bought it. It NEVER sewed the same after. It is awful and the store said there was nothing wrong with the stitches. Hello? Do you see the bird's nest on the back every few inches? So, since I couldn't get it fixed I bought the Singer. It is having issues now.
So, I am wondering, which machines should I consider? I sew a few days a week, but when I start piecing a top, I might spend hours on the machine.
I have looked at Janome, Hancock's has a nice one for $350 but they won't let me try it without buying it first. Babylock Grace and Elizabeth (pricey) but seem to be nice machines. And then if they don't last long, why spend the big bucks and just go for the $200 Brother at Wal-Mart. Looking for any suggestions since my budget is limited right now. I like the Babylock Jane that is a straight stitch machine but since I use decorative stitches for my binding I would still need a second machine.