View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 AM
AndiR

Default Have You Made a Memorial Quilt?

Although I've been quilting for many years, I've never done a quilt from someone's clothing (except a couple of bluejeans quilts). I just offered to make two for my niece and nephew who are in their 20s. Their mom (my former SIL) passed away at age 58 - so sad. So I'm looking for any advice from those who have done this kind of project before.

They live 1500 miles away and will have to ship the clothing to me, so I need to give them some guidelines on what will or won't work. I know anything really bulky or very thin/sheer would not be the best. And I know I'll have to stabilize some of the fabrics with some sort of interfacing - any suggestions on which kind?

My niece mentioned that her mom had quite a collection of scarves (not the knit winter kind but the fashion type that you wear with a suit or dress). Any ideas on how I could use these? She said these would really remind her of her mom so I'd like to do something special with them. I've seen the quilts where you take the old hankies and make them into butterflies, has anyone seen anything like this done with scarves?

If anyone has pictures or websites to share, I'd appreciate that as well.