Old 02-23-2012, 01:01 PM
LindaM49

Default Janome Horizon users...need some advice please.

I've had this machine since January 5th but so far I've only used it to piece...it's a 42" X 42" wallhanging...it's a rail quilt pattern from one of Alex Anderson's books. It has a 1" border around the rails and then a 5" wide border around that. It went together great so I used basting spray and got my "package" ready to do machine quilting. I drew a criss cross grid pattern...which took FOREVER...but that is what she suggested for it. I'm using the AcuFeed for the first time. I started in the center and noticed that every time I go over where the pieced seams are it makes a loud thumping noise. I cut back on my speed as I approached each seam because after about 3 rows of stitching my needle thread would break when it hit one of the seams. I checked the manual and it gave me all of the reasons needle thread breaks and the only one that "fit" was sewing too fast when quilting. I have the speed control now set at the first triangle where there are 2 triangles. Should I be going slower than that. I'm using cotton covered poly thread and a brand new quilting machine needle size 90/14. That's what the dealer recommended and said most machine quilters use that size or 80/12. Since I'm new at all of this I'm just using what he suggested. Fabric is all cotton from fabric.com.

Any ideas will be really appreciated. Actually this is my second quilting project...the Christmas table topper was my first but I did everything on my Elna which is now at home with my 17 year old grandaughter who is very anxious to begin her clothing sewing projects. Thanks.

Last edited by LindaM49; 02-23-2012 at 01:04 PM.