View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 01:43 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

every long-arm quilter is different- it does take about 45 minutes just to load it up & get everything ready to start quilting-
i have a 2 week turn around- but there have been times when (life) has happened that caused a delay--in those instances i ALWAY contact the customer and talk to her about what is going on- i do not just leave them wondering.
also i do not take in (23 quilts) !!! if i have 3 quilts in at once i tend to panic- and get them done as fast as possible- i simply do not want a (back-log) or to be responsible for so many (other people's) quilts!!! i can not imagine--
i do know a long-armer who allowed herself to get a year behind----she is (was) an extreme quilter- common to spend 20-30 hours on one quilt---and she didn't know how to say 'no'= just kept taking them in as they came---until she was so overwhelmed she returned un-done many many quilts that she had had for months----
with very disappointed (friends)
i kind of 'watched' this all happen- she was a member of our sewing group-until she didn't even have one night a month available anymore-
so when i started i decided that i would do them as they came in- and if i already have 3 in the house & someone calls i just tell them- i have a number ahead of you right now- i will call you when i get caught up- if you need your quilt done right away- here is the numbers of a couple other's i know you could try---
often they are willing to wait for me- and as soon as the last one i have is loaded-started i call & let them know it's ok to drop off again-
i have had quilts that i had 'problems' with that took me 2-3 weeks to do---then i've had others i get done in 4-5 hours---it just depends on alot of things...but communication is VERY IMPORTANT! personally if you call this quilter and find she still has not started your quilt---i would go pick it up & check with the lqs to find someone else---just the fact she has not stayed in contact with you- to me is a big no-no.