Old 02-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Divokittysmom

Default Quilt Featuring Vintage Pillowcases.. love some input please

When my wonderful husband and I married 40 yrs ago we received 9 pr of beautifully embroidered pillowcases for our wedding. I also am blessed to have 2 pr that were found in his mother's hope chest after she passed, we think they were made by my husband's grandmother. I also have a pair made by my beloved grandma as well as a pr I made in high school in Decorative Arts Class. These hold a lot of treasured memories for me as they remind me of the lovely ladies who embroidered them.
I used them when we were first married but all of them are for standard size pillows... of which I have none. I have had these hidden away in my linen closets for at least 35 yrs I think. I would like to have them out where I can have the pleasure of seeing them and actually enjoy them.
So..... I decided I want to make a quilt featuring these treasured pieces of time gone by. My questions revolve around the beautiful edgings of tatting/hemstitching and crocheting that I don't want to lose, that's part of their beauty. I know that if I use Fray Block on the crocheted/tatted edges and then zig zag it after it dries, I can safely snip that area with no chance of it fraying.
My questions are: how would I treat those decorative edges then when I want to add a sashing around each pillowcase?? I would like to have each pillowcase as a 'block' if that makes sense. Obviously, I don't want to create a seam there along the bottom edge. Could I somehow topstitch the sashing on the lower edges @ the 1/4" mark,....or???
I also thought of using a foundation piece as in Crazy Patch and attach them all to the foundation piece but then I would lose the individuality of each piece.
As you can see I am stumped! I have googled my idea using my pillowcases for a quilt and came up empty handed. I know this will be quite an undertaking as I want to be very careful how I proceed with not only cutting them but having a well laid out plan for making them into a quilt.
Any ideas would be so greatly appreciated. I attached a photo to show the different decorative edges I am trying to preserve.
Or,.... am I just crazy to think of making them into a quilt?? Be nice now... lol
Attached Thumbnails 2012-02-23_21-17-53_990.jpg  

Last edited by Divokittysmom; 02-23-2012 at 09:49 PM.