Thread: Gas prices!
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 04:42 AM
ptquilts

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I wonder how many people think that the oil companies are privately owned companies? They are traded on the stock market, are part of mutual funds, investors in them are in the hundreds of thousands. Those of you who have IRA's for your retirement savings probably own shares in oil companies. You are the owners - not some unidentified rich person. The amount of shares you own determine the amount you earn. Each share owner has the opportunity to attend every meeting and to vote their shares. You can vote with only one share, 10 shares, 100 shares, whatever. You own the company. If you don't like the way the company is being run, you can make your viewpoint heard. You can run for an office in the company. This is the difference in a publicly held company and a private company. All the big companies are publicly held companies.
well said Tanya!! I think a lot of people forget we live in a free market economy, there is no one around who is going to "spank" the oil companies because they are charging too much. They are a business just like any other business. They can set the prices and the public buys more or less of their product depending on the cost.

Now I know for most it is a necessity and not a luxury to buy gasoline, but look what happened during the energy "crisis" back in the 70's - all of a sudden small economy cars became very popular. And gas prices went back down.