View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 06:00 AM
craftygater

Default "Fixing" signature blocks

For my daughter's wedding she didn't want a guest book. Instead she wanted everyone to sign a quilt square for me to make into a quilt. I have decided to do Scrap Courthouse steps with a slightly larger center signature square because they were married in Washington Courthouse, Oh. It just seemed right. Since I haven't done anything with signature blocks I wanted to know if there is anything I need to do to the signature blocks to fix the writing so it won't wash out. I used the special pens for fabric that I got at JoAnns. Some of the blocks aren't very dark because the writer didn't press hard enough. I preped the blocks by cutting oversized and making a posterboard templete to place over the fabric on a clipboard to indicate writing area. I prewashed, cut, then lightly starched the squares before the wedding. I tested the white muslin by writing before startching and after starching. Then I washed the squares. I didn't notice any difference with the ink so I starched the squares. It made writing on them easier. So... is there anything else I need to do to the blocks with the ink so they don't wash out over time? I appreciate any help with this. I will post a picture of the quilt when I get it completed. However I have my other daughters wedding quilt to finish also. From 7? years ago. It's still in production
But thats another post. Thanks again for any help.