View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 AM
willferg

I'm the assistant coordinator for our local chapter and have been donating quilts for several years now. It's really rewarding. We have a handful of quilters, a larger number of knitters/crocheters, and then we get groups that bring in the tied fleeced blankets off and on.

I was fortunate enough to get to go with the coordinator to give blankets to kids in a classroom who lost a classmate tragically and suddenly. It was a really moving experience. The teachers were crying, and the kids just loved getting a blanket. One little boy said, "I've never had a blanket before!" I had to hide a laugh, because I'm sure he had plenty of blankets at home, but hey, maybe not one of his very own!

Our chapter is not picky -- no quilt police. It's a good way to try new things, because kids don't care about cut off points or slightly crooked themes. I usually go for lap size with fleece on the back. I tend to think the blankets need to be quilt sized, but that's not necessarily true, the kids like the blankets to hold. I try to picture them on a hospital bed -- something cheery to brighten up the room, something a yard or so wide, and 40-50 inches long. We do make some bigger for teens.

Most of us work on our own and drop our things off to the coordinator. We do try to meet once a year, and I wish we could meet more often, but it hasn't worked out that way so far...

I hope you decide to work with Project Linus!