View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 09:03 AM
DogHouseMom

Very pretty quilt! It screams for individual block work, not an all-over design. Each block in the row can be quilted the same, but different for each row.

At first glance some of the ideas that popped into my head ......

The large blocks at the bottom should be the easiest - lots of room to play with. Feathers, Mctavishing, swirls - the sky is the limit.

The houses I would SID around the door, window, whole house, trees and sun. I would then handle each house slightly differently with either vertical or horizontal lines to mimic clapboard, log cabin - etc, and you can do different "shingles" on the roofs of each house. Make each house slightly unique.

The center row perhaps a simple leafed vine in the colored strips and small meander in the light colors.

The boats I would used a simple curved stitch to outline each triangle then quilt a sun with rays in the corners.

The 9 patch stars (3rd from the top) you can handle in a lot of different ways similar to the bottom row. Play play play!

2nd row from the top - the blocks are small so I would handle those simply with either SID or a curved outline.

Top row - a feather in the triangles of the pin wheel, a curved vine in the strips of the pin wheel and perhaps radiated lines in the whites.