Thread: Gas prices!
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Halo

There is so much waste in this country that it is a crying shame. I live in a low income area, so have to watch every nickle & dime. Then with prices going up & up really makes it hard. I do belong to a gleaner group that gathers end crops, that would normally rot in the fields, to help feed many family's. We also get from companies that would dump good products if we didn't go after the stuff. We get a portion for our members & the rest is donated to two food banks, Soup kitchen, senior center, New Hope Farm (a place that houses Downs adults) & any other place that needs help. We never have to buy bread, potatoes, onions, vegges, fruits, chips, eggs & many more odds & ends products. So I do lots of canning & drying foods. We do have to go out & pick the crops, but the gleaners pays the gas for this. We have a $10.00 monthly fee to belong to the group, & that is what pays for the gas for the picks. Everyone has to take their turn working the crops & if you refuse to work after being ask 3 times straight in a row then you are dropped from the group. After all, it is a group effort not just a few doing all the work for everyone else. It would be nice if this was available in all areas.