Old 02-24-2012, 04:51 PM
miriam
Power Poster

BTW Glenn has a very cool quilt his grandma made. It is a history in red - looks to me like it is from a Native American point of view - Pat and I spread it out on the (sssshhhhh) floor while Glenn and Phil were working on the van. Pat doesn't know how old it would be. Glenn you have very cool stuff from your Grandma. My Grandma didn't do any more sewing than she could help. She was a teacher in a one room school house in South Dakota. She was well into her 70s when a tornado hit and took out the school. She salvaged what she could but the school closed after that. She would drive her car to the school and pick up the children on the way. She had to lite a fire and clean the school every day as well as teach. More than a few times she shared her lunch. Grandma always grew a HUGE garden, canned it and gave it all away. She kept an old treadle around just for mending and she hated it. She never did learn to do any hand work. My Great Aunt Bertha did that. She tatted - she would make hankies, sell them and give the money to missions. She tried to teach me to tat - yeah.... just watch my hand - yup and I can thread a sewing machine while it is running.