View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 08:18 PM
LindaM

Log cabin is one of my favourites - one of my first quilts, still on my daughter's bed. Love all the variation you can get with different placements, strip widths, shapes.

Our Guild workshop this Feb was a log cabin table runner, using Marti Michell's new ruler. One of our Guild members (also a local LQS owner) attended a day with Marti and now has a whole wall of her rulers in her shop

The rulers have all the markings - both the width of the strip to cut, and the length, so you don't have to do any math. She also recommends cutting all the pieces of the lengthwise grain - parallel to the selvedge (not wof) to reduce stretch - and wonkiness!

The result is very nice - no trimming as you go because everything fits.

The guild workshops are nice - even for long-time quilters - always learn something new! And going back to the basics. One tip from the workshop leader this day - keep a set of 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" strips (very accurately cut) - every sewing session, sew three strips together, press and measure. Should measure exactly 3 1/2 square. If it doesn't, adjust your 1/4" seam (or your pressing technique!) until you're back sewing a perfect 1/4".

Information on the rulers here (no affiliation, but a fan after using the ruler!):
http://frommarti.com/lcrulers.shtml