Old 02-25-2012, 05:58 AM
QuiltingNinaSue

Wow!! So much work and love in your dairy work; no small task to milk 110 cows night and morning or do you milk 3 times a day?

Our "cow" operation was a small one, never more than 10-15 that I can recall. I think about five cows was the high number that we milked, usually about three. Some were for beef, some were for the milk. We milked by hand, with "kickers", chains on the hind legs to prevent the cow from kicking you while you milked the cow. That worked well until the cow stepped back on a cat, who snarled, growled and starting clawing the cow...the cow kicked out with both hind legs, and the next minute all the cows were out of the milking shed, and down over the hill. The milking bucket was upset of course, but we were not hurt, so all ended OK. So much for teaching the cats to drink directly with a stream of fresh milk from the cow's udder.

Dh was raised with Black Angus cattle, some 400 head most of the time and was a "farm hand" not paid on his work with helping with that and 1500 arces of row crops his Father and Uncle did together. One summer he remembers just over 10,000 bales of hay they put up. (His Father did "custom work" which meant baled hay for others in addition to their own farm work. He never pulled out of the hay field until he was paid; 'cause if they did not pay, he took hay for payment.) Farm Life was and is a lot of work to get produce to the market. My hat is off to those who do provide a wonderful harvest (beef, milk, and by-products, garden produce, etc., ) for the rest of us to enjoy.