Old 02-25-2012, 06:45 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Wow Miriam, what a great family you had! Your Grandma sounds like a fabulous person! It would be so cool to have her treadle - even if she did not like it!

Nancy
Looking back, I doubt it if was really her treadle. Grandma didn't have much of her own. I bet it came with Uncle Fred when she married him. My Grandfather died when my Dad was a small child. Grandma was stuck in Arkansas with a small child and a baby and no job available. She sold all she owned, barely bought train tickets and moved in with her FIL & Aunt Bertha. Grandma got a job teaching a good ways away. She boarded out by the month and would come home to see her babies. Then she had to go back to work. Eventually she got a place in town where she taught & they could all be together. Then when Dad was in his 20s she married my Grandfather's brother, Uncle Fred. Then she taught in the one room school down the road. I believe she married Fred so he would have someone to take care of him and keep the neighbors from talking. I guess that's how things were in the 1930s. Yes she was very wonderful.