View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 01:13 AM
katier825

I have had my Viking 830 for a few months now and I love it! It's got a few less stitches than what you are looking at, but otherwise almost identical. It is different than any machine I've ever used, so it did take a little more time to get acclimated. There is no presser foot lever (I do still reach for it occasionally). The presser foot has 3 up positions - you can use the buttons to lift, or the foot pedal. When you are threading, you need to be sure it's in the uppermost position. Also, if your thread breaks, you need to do the same, put the foot all the way up. As long as I do that, I don't have a tension problem. Be sure to get training on the basics of this machine as it's different. I did have a problem that I couldn't use my old Viking's free motion feet on it. I believe that has to do with the automatic foot sensor. The dealer let me try a new one and I loved it! She was kind enough to give it to me free of charge. One nice accessory that is available that I have not splurged on is a walking foot that has a few snap in feet like a stitch-in-the-ditch foot, so you can use both at once! It's over $100 (probably worth every penny), but I'm using my old walking foot for now and hoping Santa will get me the new one for Christmas. :mrgreen: If you do buy it, just be sure to take whatever lessons are offered! My dealer offers unlimited "know your machine" classes. I think Joann's offers 2.