Old 02-25-2012, 09:11 AM
w7sue

I always save mine - I sew them together at the same time as I make the original block. If I want to conserve material on the back, I make blocks with them and place them off-center on the backing for the quilt. It's a great way to use up any leftover fabric too. I figured if I did this with each quilt, then eventually my stash would become more manageable because I wouldn't be adding to it with each quilt. Yeah, right .... Really, if there is any fabric smaller than a fat quarter, I use it up on the back. I also purchased a book called "Adventures with Leaders and Enders" by Bonnie K. Hunt and it uses 1.5, 2 and 2.5 inch blocks to make quilts - I have made several from her book. I started collecting fabric, cut in those sizes by going through my stash and anything that was small enough (smaller than a fat quarter) got cut up. Boy, was I glad I did it when I did. Last year, I fell and broke my right arm. When I was able to begin using it again (after three months in a sling), I started making nine patches from the 1.5" blocks. I made 300 of them for one of the quilts in her book. It will be 106 x 106, is almost assembled (just sewing rows together) and all I had to purchase for the front was the connecting block material.