View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 09:29 AM
w7sue

I think I am doing the same thing right now ... I purchased a pattern for a block - a bouquet of balloons (23 of them are in each block). So ... I pull out my box of 30's fabrics and start sorting. I find my scrapbooking punch and punch out A LOT of 1" circles to use as templates (see, I run a basting thread around the circle and pull it up around the template, then press. Let the circle rest (cool down), then remove and move on). I started cutting circles out, asked a friend for her stash too and am still cutting circles. I save those nice pill bottles and I now have three of them full of circles to make into balloons. I am still cutting, I will have enough to make my quilt (probably however many I want) and to share with the next person. I am using any pieces that are small enough to cut one or two out of before tossing the rest. It has been fun to fussy cut some of my little circles. The original quilt (an antique) does not have any sashings between the blocks and has A LOT of blocks. I am considering making 12 blocks and adding a sashing - but, with the number of circles I am cutting out, I may HAVE to make one like the original quilt. I wonder if I will still be adicted to applique when I am done with this one - lol If anyone is interested in the pattern, I purchased it at Latimer Quilt & Textile Center in Tillamook, Oregon. I believe they also have the original quilt in their collection.