View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 06:09 PM
LeslieFrost

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I would recommend a notebook of examples - cloth pages, one page each of correct seams, intersections, flying geese,curved pieces, appliques bindings, etc.instead of finished blocks. One technique per page. That way the technique can be referred to no matter what block is being sewn.

That's the way my sewing lessons were done when I bought my first sewing machine and the example book which I created in class was invaluable.
I think that this is a fabulous idea!! I think in teaching beginners, you have to straddle two things: the desire of the beginners to make something fabulous quickly; and the desire of the teacher to make sure that they master the basics, the foundational skills that will serve them well in the future.

I admire you for taking this on. I assume that your students will be mixed in their experience and skill level! Would they all be willing to create this type of book, and let you honestly critique each page, and do it over again until you pronouce it very good? I don't know.

Good luck!