View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 06:34 PM
jaciqltznok
Banned

I LOVE your questions/inquiries and thought to present some ideas for you.

[QUOTE=TanyaL;5007799]Due to lack of knowledge when I want curved blocks (not pieces of blocks) I have to default to appliques on top of square blocks. Is there basic knowledge for making curved blocks, curved lines in a somewhat traditional looking quilt?

Yes, the basic knowledge is to know that curves are rarely sharp as you must know how to make the threads/fibers of the fabric MOVE as it were. This is an interesting practice piece.
http://www.straw.com/quilting/articles/curvy9patch.html

I would like to know the why of things - why are seams 1/4"?
Over the years it was discovered that when "hand piecing this was the allowance that withstood the best wear, had the best ease of handling, the best matching up of points, etc.

why are quilts built along grid lines?

Not ALL quilt are! However if I were to wager a guess, I would say that is because people handle Squares easier!
I suppose it is more to do with MATH than anything else though.

why do most people like sharp contrast of color and distain low contrast unless they are watercolor quilts?

I think this is more about Marketing or personal taste really. I LOVE color, but NOT pastel or watercolor! Once the "market" is flooded with a certain color, then suddenly your eye tells your mind that you must LOVE it..or in the case of this years UGLY golden mustard color, HATE it..heheheh

Why are hodgepodge color selections of scrappy quilts considered by some preferable to careful color schemes that are more harmonious with color theory?

Again, personal choice. Though not all scrappy quilts are created equal, as not all color scheme are executed well! Personal choice/preference really. I love scrappy, but have seen a few that were just a hodge podge and hard on the eyes! Same with color schemes..not every purple monochromatic quilt is the same!

Why is texture in a quilt not a good thing usually?

Who said? where would crazy quilts, wool quilts, flannel, scrappy or applique quilts be without texture?

Why do LQS often offer a beginning class that just teaches a person how to make someone else's quilt pattern?

Because not all teachers are designers? And not all designers are teachers..(trust me on that one)

Why are bindings almost always just a flat piece of fabric along the edge, seldom a ruffle or a ruche a pleat or anything else?

The most logical answer..TOE hangers...I have seen those lovely Prairie point edgings pull the binding right off of a quilt when it got caught in the wheel of the stroller! NOT pretty! Smooth edges last longer!

I hope that helps to entertain some more thoughts!

Last edited by jaciqltznok; 02-25-2012 at 06:40 PM.