View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Gabrielle's Mimi

You have read quite a few humorous comments in this thread, and I completely understand your question. We are ALL passionate about quilting and our love of fabric on this site. Now, here is the not-so-humorous side of stash building. I learned to quilt from a person who was a compulsive buyer. She had absolutely astounding amounts of fabric, most of which she couldn't even remember she had in the bottom of boxes and bags. She would suggest that I buy fabrics that I liked in order to build my stash, and because "if you wait it won't be there tomorrow!" I listened to her, built a nice stash and then woke up one day realizing with a shock that I had way too much money invested in fabrics, some of which I may never use because it does kind of go out of style or because I am tired of looking at it. Also, color trends do change from year to year. Here is my suggestion: measure and fold and label ALL the fabric you have. Know how much $$$ you have tied up in fabric. Understand that yes, you may love this piece of fabric at this store today, but in reality, do you actually have a plan for it and will you make the project within 6 weeks? Yes this fabric may be gone in a week or two, but guess what...there will be more fabric on that shelf next week and next year, and you may even love it more. I only hope I will live long enough to make all the projects I have fabric for. Getting back to the measured and folded and labelled fabric...once you are organized, things won't be forgotten in bins or in bags in the bottom of the closet. Now you can go shopping in your own fabric stash. Right now I am trying to use only the fabric that I already own. I will break down and buy neutrals or whatever is needed to actually complete a project, but no more binge buying for me. BTW, that person who taught me to quilt unfortunately got herself deep into debt and had some serious challenges to face. A word to the wise...