View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 06:28 AM
Threadbanger

I'm a new quilter without access to a LQS. This thread hits home. There is so much I'm having to learn by trial and error (and reading QB). I've got a good quality cutting mat and rulers. However, I don't know what half the markings on them are for. I like the idea of going over the math and how to design squares. Right now, I only use patterns that someone else has made. I have enough trouble cutting and piecing from these. I don't want to totally frustrate myself by trying to design my own block/quilt from trial and error (most likely error- math was never my strong suit). I have learned that accuracy in cutting is key. I'm not too sure how to square up - especially with triangles. I tried that one day and frustrated myself so much I didn't sew for a week. If techniques have changed so much, I agree that maybe a little comparison between the two would be good. That might help someone like me who needs to be spoon fed see different ways of doing things and choose which works best for me. Just my 2 cents.