Thread: My first OBW
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 04:39 PM
BeckyL

Default OBW (One Block Wonder)

I will try to answer questions and provide a picture of the original fabric. The body of the quilt is made from 5 yards of one fabric. It is (as the name says) one block of hexagons (6) 60 dgree triangles . As in a Stack and Whack you stack your fabric, matching the repeats, cut it into strips and then into triangles. Then begins the assembly. Each hexagon can be assembled 3 different ways, so I would up spending a fair amount of time trying to decide which way was "best". After all of the hexagons are made, take it to the design wall and begin playing with the layout. It took me a couple of days to arrive at the final design. Then you piece the hexagons into strips then the strips into the completed quilt. I just created my own borders. So that fabric is over and above the original 5 yards. (You do need to find fabric with a large repeat 24 inch being ideal.)

My "design wall" is a wall in a guest bedroom that has french doors in it. My husband made a frame that fits over the door with clothes pins attached and I hang a piece of batting from the pins. So, I can't leave this up there. I don't have a home for it yet, but I'm certain that the right one will come along.

I am having trouble posting the picture. Will try again.