Thread: 9 patch
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Kathy T.

Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
Love your quilt could you tell me how big is the finished blocks. I want to try it. Thanks
Thanks, Maureen and all who complimented my simple charity quilt. This one was donated back in 2010 to an organization called Wrap-Them-in-Love (http://www.wraptheminlove.org/) so you're really making me think about the size! This is what I'm guessing:

I'm thinking the 9-patch blocks were 6 inches, finished. That puts the strips to make them at 2 1/2 inches wide. I usually make the alternating half-square blocks slightly over-sized and cut them down to 6 1/2 inches (unfinished). To do that, I put together two squares (right sides together) that are 7 inches apiece. Then I draw a diagonal line and sew 1/4 inch away on either side of the line. Cut in half diagonally to make two of the half-square blocks. Square these up to 6 1/2 inches before sewing to the 9-patch blocks.

I've never written directions before, so I hope that helps.

You can then make your quilt any size you want depending on the number of blocks. Mine was child-size ... about 40 inches wide with the two borders and maybe 52 inches long. With that width, I don't have to piece the backs so it conserves fabric and I can make more kids' quilts!