View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Peckish

You might check into used machines. I have 2 machines I bought used, and have not been sorry. I got a Brother 1500 with a New Joy frame for $400 total, and the retail price for just the machine is $800. When I opened the Brother it looked brand-spanking new. It was clean as a whistle and had absolutely NO lint in the bobbin area. I think the previous owner put it on the frame, made 2 passes with it, got frustrated because either she couldn't get the tension right or she realized she wanted a bigger throat. (She upgraded to a Gammill!)

The other machine I bought used is a Janome 1600P DB, which is basically the same as the Brother 1500. I paid $400 for it. I put the Janome on the frame and use the Brother as my piecing machine since it has the auto cutter and needle threader.

I would recommend joining your guild, local sewing groups, yahoo groups, and check your LQSes. Get to know your local quilters, then put the word out that you're looking for a used machine to purchase. That's how I found both of these machines. That way you will know the previous owner, how well she takes care of her machines, why she's selling it, and any problems she's had with it. The Janome I purchased was well used, but the previous owner was religious about oiling and servicing, so I had no qualms about purchasing her machine.

Last edited by Peckish; 02-26-2012 at 07:47 PM.