View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 05:22 AM
mcar

I began to quilt a year ago after watching some YouTube videos. There were some basic skills I just could not get right until I was able to take a few basic classes, and some quilt making classes at my favorite quilt store that is now closed.
The shops I can drive too are quite a distance and are a driving adventure. So no more classes and I am on my own at 74, not much time left to conquer every element so I stay with simpler designs. But I hear in my mind the voices of my teachers guiding me to match corners, cut carefully. I suppose it is much like hearing the voice of your quilting Mother as you work. It is an encouragement and something to be thankful for. In a class setting I think I would encourage students to make regular, but small quilts-not doll quilts with small pieces, such as you do Holice, to learn basic skills, to practice as many patterns in depth to gain confidence - churn dash, 9 patch, D9P, stars, square in a square, flying geese, set in triangles, layout blocks in straight rows and diagonal. Then move on to full size quilts. In a quilt when a number of squares are to be created encourage the student to learn to develop a personal routine to move them thru with success....chain piecing, completing a segment on several squares before getting up to press. and the virtues of using a design board for layout.