View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 AM
Cybrarian

For me it depends on what I'm doing and if I am learning a new block or whatever, and the first time I do it I use assembly line methods for different parts. I can best explain it in education terms. You know how some words you have to write down before you are confident you have it spelled correctly? You most likely first "recorded" that word in your brain spelled incorectly. We learn in short term memory and what we need to or can best retain goes into long term memory. This happens most often when we sleep. Then you learn to spell the word correctly and that goes into your long term memory. Now your brain has it recorded twice, but the incorrect spelling will come into your "accessed memory" first when you need to spell it. That's what makes you unsure and you write it out so your visual memory can back up your recorded long term memory. I say all this to explain what's happening. You are trying to change a long term memory way of doing something. If we really like the new way better we overcome the "uncomfortableness" of the 2 memories vying for brain recall space. When I can't overcome that uncomfortableness over a period of time; I just resign myself to the fact that I really like my original method whether others think it is the most efficient way or not. Sewing and quilting is supposed to be fun, creative and relaxing not anxiety creating-so be a Burger King quilter and have it your way!