View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Barb1949

On binding, it took me a long time to accomplish a good binding on a quilt.
1. I wash fabric as soon as I bring it home on light cycle and dry in dryer. Remove dried fabric and fold the fabric in half opposite the way it comes off the bolt..salvage to salvage edge holding the fabric at the center of the cut. let it hang loose, and when it is hanging straight from the center..thats where you make your center line press. The ends maybe uneven thats ok. Once you have pressed the fabric with Spray Starch you can cut the bottom of the fabric on the straight of the grain at the bottom. then fold the fabric in half and in half again. you are now ready to cut your strips and the will be straight.
2. cut strips to desired wideth. I use 2 1/2 in standard cut.
3 double the fabric and spray starch and iron. I put the fabric wrong sides together on pressing matt and put in thru a large safety pin which holds your fold more easily. spray starch before you press. hold fabric with left hand and pull thru under the iron on the other side of the safety pin with fabric coming thru it.
4. USE A WALKING FOOT to sew down the binding right sides together onto the front of the quilt 1/2 inch from the straight edge of the quilt. Start sewing 5 or 6 inches from the corner, also leave as much slack in your binding to work with when you get back to the beginning. { You must square up the quilt before you apply the binding}
5.Corners can be mitered by sewing up to the corner of the quilt to 1/4th inch. Flip binding up to top of quilt. turn quilt. lay down binding to go the new direction of the quilt. Start sewing again coming down the edge 1/4in., back stitch a few stitches to the edge of the corner and then continue down the the next corner and repeat for all the corners.
6Iron the binding seam like you would any other seam. back and front the mitered corners will fall into place when you press them out with iron.
6 Hand stitch your binding down to the back of the quilt. I use a invisible applique stitch.
Hope this may help some one else.