Old 02-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Mom3

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Mom3 you might as well hang out

****************WARNING*************

some of us are a bit crazy.........

can we get on the short bus and come to your house to play???
If only I had the space to have them all out at the same time then that would be great. Plenty of room here to park a bus that's for sure!

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Shari,

Welcome! Looks like you have a great start in the world of sewing machine collecting. You'll love it here. It's a very friendly and supporting group. (actually very enabling) VBG

Cathy
My enablers are our grand-kids. I have a plan, really I do in collecting vintage Singers: I want to be able to leave a straight stitch and a zig-zag machine to each of our grand-kids when I pass away. Given the number of grand-kids we have I have to 'collect' a few more.

This summer I plan on teaching a few of the g-kids how to use my Singers, afterall, it doesn't do any good to inherit a machine that you don't know how to operate. Actually, that's how I get my machines: Someone was given one on the passing of a relative and they don't sew and don't know how to use the machine. In a way that situation is very sad...

BTW I'm not just collecting, I am teaching myself how to repair them also. I probably should not use the term 'repair' with a vintage Singer - they are built like the Rock of Gibraltar - it is more of a clean up, grease & oil thing that I am doing.

We don't travel a lot but I'm thinking of putting some feelers out in the areas we do go to and see if I can pick up some pin money doing service work on the older Singers. Some of the smaller towns we go to do not have any service techs locally.

Shari