View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
SuzanneG
Banned

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with lifting a puppies water at night. Puppies can dehydrate quickly. Beyond that, denying them water when they are thirsty is plain wrong just so we might get a good night's sleep.

Puppies are WORK! I have a nine month old pup, so not too long ago, I was traveling down that sleep-deprived road. But I took on the responsibility, so I have to do what's best for her, not easiest for me.

Interestingly enough, I have a good friend who got a puppy at the same time I got Piper. She insisted on pulling up her dog's water bowl at 6:00 every evening. At that time, my pup was in a crate beside my bed at night and had a bowl of water in there with her. I could hear her take a sip every now and then through the night. In the end, her puppy took just as long to make it through the night as Piper did, about 2-3 weeks. So her pup went thirsty for nothing since he still had to pee during the night, same as my pup that had access to water 24/7.

So, let the pup have access to water all the time and feed her later at night. If she has to pee, you have to get up and let her out. That's all part of the deal when you get a young pup. Feeding later will take care of the poo problem since she won't have to go until morning.

I noticed in your original post, you said the pup is having accidents at night. If you get up as soon as you hear her, then you can get her outside before accidents happen. You can't ask a puppy to wait. They simply aren't good at that yet. The pup is doing her part by letting you know she has to go, you have to do yours by getting up and letting her out.