View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 09:46 PM
jaciqltznok
Banned

Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
I am a newbie and have enjoyed this discussion so much. Some say that the accuracy isn't critical because they are just making utility quilts. But I think it's like building a shelter: It's true you can just throw something together and it might keep you dry but if you know why and how to use your tools and materials you'll have a stronger more stable (and hopefully prettier) home for the same amount of time and money. Most people can't play music by ear, most of us have to learn the basics before we can make up our own tunes. Although I've made garments for years, I still want to learn the basics of quilting (quilting seems heavier in math) and I appreciate the tutorials and instructions offered here. Thanks to all of you I'm learning a lot.
I just LOVE all of your analogies! I always tell my kids, "just because you can, does not mean you should"! This applies to so many things in life! I believe everyone does what they can, but IF you learn the basics, the math, the science, then you can go play! BUT, it pays to know the ins/outs, rights/wrongs, etc...so that when play time is over you can rely on your skills to make something heirloom if you so desire!