View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Cowman Creations

Default Asking for advice

My Mom passed away last week and I plan to make it my mission to finish her quilt tops and get them passed on to family members. I have helped her with many of them so have an some idea about approximately when or where she got the material. I plan to look through her patterns and books and try to find the name of the pattern then make a heart label with the name of the quilt and that it was pieced by Mom and quilted by me. Should I give an approximate year or just put 5-14-18 - 2-20-12 (Mom's dates).

I now realized the importance of labels as we have 3 old quilts in her cedar chest. I know one was made by my great grandmother but no history on the other two. One has several old stains that I assume are blood does anyone have a good idea how to clean the quilt. Also there are a couple of torn quilts that I remember playing with as a child. (If we wanted a blanket to lay on the grass or make a tent over the clothes line we grabbed one of the "old blankets".)

50 years later I now know how much work goes into them and that they are not just "serviceable blankets" and would probably kill anyone I saw spreading one of my quilt on the ground for a picnic.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.