Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Susan Ella

Default Quilt pattern ideas for soldiers and my mother?

Okay, I've made one quilt, so please forgive my lack of knowledge of quilting language. XD
I'm making a queen sized quilt for my mother for her birthday in about a month and a half. Thing is, I have no idea what kind of pattern to use! It would be in blues to match her room, but other than that, I'm strapped! I want it to be individual, but also bold, while staying classy. I just began not too long ago, so I'd also not like it to be too complex.
Also: I want to make lap quilts for soldiers who just came home. I choose lap quilts because a lot of people come home in wheel chairs. Even if they have use of their legs, many people like to sit on the couch and watch TV or play a video game with a small blanket/quilt on their lap or around their shoulders. My dad is totally behind me in this, and even offered to dive me two hours to give the soldiers the quilts when I'm done! I plan to use rather patriotic fabric for this, however, again, pattern ideas baffle me!
I would really love some ideas about patterns, as well as some additional fabric suggestions for the lap quilts! Thanks so much!!