View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Delilah

Originally Posted by Rubesgirl View Post
Ok, I am officially confused. How do you use the white Elmer's glue and/or glue sticks in place of pins? :-?
You can use Elmer's SCHOOL glue or glue sticks for tacking small items or applique but not for basting a large project, just make sure the product washes out with soap and water. Some people evidentially use the school glue in their binding some how. I have never done that so don't know how to use it for that. Many quilters prefer to use basting sprays like 505, Sullivan's, Dritz, or June Tailer to baste the three layers of quilts together INSTEAD of using a zillion pins. I have had great success spray basting really large quilts without the aid of any pins at all. Some people were suggesting that you could Elmer's Spray Adhesive to spray baste quilts instead of the products that I listed and I was trying to warn them that Elmer's Spray Adhesive is not for basting quilts since it is a permanent adhesive, will NOT wash out with soap and water, and therefore will ruin the quilts. BTW, I do not like the new formula that June Tailer switched to last year but I understand they are changing the formula again and it should be in production soon. Once I got proficient using the sprays I can successfully spray baste a 100" square quilt in about an hour without using any pins at all.