View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Hummer Lady

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I finally got to look at your pics.

What did you use to paint the iron?
Actually, (you'll probably laugh, but it worked) since I didn't want to spray paint over chipped paint which would show an uneven paint build-up, and I don't have access to a sand blaster to remove the old paint (and I still wanted to retain the original Singer paint on the side logos)...I cleaned all the nooks and crannies with Clorox wipes, then used black skuff shoe polish in a sponge applicator bottle, then wiped it off from the side logos and Singer name underneath with another Clorox wipe (which doesn't show in these photos).

What did you use to finish the wood?
Cabinet disassembled, then refinished with Minwax furniture refinisher, Howard's Dark Oak "Restore-a-Finish" and Formby's Tung Oil.

Machine head cleaned in kerosene bath; outside cleaned with GoJo waterless hand cleaner then polished with Scott's Liquid Gold. Chrome & brass parts polished. Bobbin case cleared of debris and oiled. Thread tension & bobbin winder diassembled & cleaned in kerosene bath. All moving parts oiled. Treadle belt & bobbin winder tire replaced. Thread tension and stitch length set and tested.

And what did you make that blue drive belt out of?
I bought it from a Mennonite woman at the Country Variety Store in Haven, KS for $4. She swears by them and it's the only treadle belt she uses or carries in her little store (an out building on her brother's dairy farm). It's a length of rubber tubing with a flanged connector that both ends fit over. Her name is Anna Borntrager 620-465-2616 (Closed Wed & Sun)

Joe
And thanks for the lead on the spring. I'll check it out.
Hummer Lady