View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Lisanne

Originally Posted by butterflywing
telemarketers and other cranks don't give you telephone numbers so how does this work? you can't exactly ask for their number and expect an answer. until i buy a new phone ( i mentioned that i dropped my phone on it's head ) i don't know who's calling and not everyone has caller id.

also, if legitimate callers know you're blocking, so what? if they're legit, you'll answer. no? i'm so technologically impaired!
If you have caller ID (and these days if you want almost any extra service, it automatically comes in the same "package"), then the caller's phone number and identity automatically show on the little screen on your phone. I guess if your phone is so old it doesn't have a screen, you won't be able to see anything.

There are exceptions. Some numbers are part of a phone system where they show as Unavailable. Sometimes people deliberately block the number they're calling from, like a teen who's supposed to be studying math at Jessica's house but is really over at Ryan's working on her night moves. or telemarketers, stalkers, exes of all sorts, etc.

You can block your number by pressing *67 before dialing.
You can block reception of blocked calls by pressing *77. Callers will be given the option to unblock their numbers when calling you.
For more star codes: http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/tele...odes-guide.htm

If you block reception of calls from blocked numbers, you may miss calls from people in those business phone networks, if they can't unblock their calls. Sometimes you actually want to hear from a business, such as your insurance company when you've filed a claim.

Some people think you're paranoid if you block reception of blocked calls. I am job hunting right now, and one of the best recruiters I work with stopped working with me for a while because he works from home a lot and doesn't want his home number showing up. Good reason. I personally think he's paranoid, because he won't leave a message even when he's calling from the office. If I don't get to the phone in time, I can see by the number that he called from the office, but he will not talk on tape. So he's a fugitive from the FBI, but he's still a good recruiter.

I blocked my calls last year during the election. My, the peace and quiet after the campaign callers couldn't get through was wonderful!

No, I don't always answer if I see it's a legit caller. Sometimes I don't want to talk to someone. I don't even bother answering when I see it's the library's computer calling to say a book is in or the doctor's office computer calling to remind me of an appt. Waste of time. Sometimes I don't feel like chatting right then, so I'll call back later.