Thread: Food
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Lisanne

Gennynut, I live alone, so my cooking is just for one. It makes 4 - 6 servings (bigger pieces than usual because some of it is veggies), but they can be cut up, separated with wax paper and frozen.

Warning: I liked it, but I wouldn't say it's awesome. I've made a few meatloaves that have been awesome. This was good, very satisfying, but not award winning.

Since I was experimenting, there's no real recipe. I used:
-- a package of 90% lean ground beef (they always stick in more than a pound, so it was about 1 1/4 pounds)
-- 1/3 of an onion
-- 2 smaller ribs of celery, chopped into small pieces
-- 2/3 of a smallish yellow squash, again cut into small pieces
-- maybe 1/2 - 1 cup of mashed cauliflower
-- 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
-- 1/3 cup oats
-- 1 large egg
-- the heel piece of a loaf of cinnamon bread
-- sprinkles of thyme

I sauteed the onion in a small amount of oil, then added the squash and celery. Didn't cook them fully, just gave them a head start.

I chopped up and boiled the half a head of cauliflower that I had on hand for 20 minutes (add to salted water after it reaches a boil). Then I drained and mashed it with a fork, then took some for the meatloaf and put the rest in a bowl in the fridge - okay, I ate some while I was waiting).

I beat the egg and put it in a mixing bowl, then added the meat, thyme, oats (the NON-instant kind, but I don't think it matters), pieces of cinnamon bread and mixed, then added all the veggies and mixed again, then put in in the loaf pan.

I put the loaf pan in a 350 oven for an hour - well, that was the plan but I forgot and was ten minutes late getting it out, but that didn't hurt it. The meat should be at least 160 degrees if you have a meat thermometer.

I've been adding veggies for a while now. It's one way to get them in painlessly. You can use ground turkey instead of beef, too. I try different variations from the standard tomato sauce based loaf.

It's fine cold for lunch, or in a sandwich.

I make a lot of bowl creations, like stirfries and chilis, and put them in individual serving microwaveable bowls, then freeze. These are great for lunches and lazy dinners. Just heat for 2 1/2 seconds in the nuker, stir and heat for another 1 - 2 minutes.