Old 02-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Cre8tvlwyr

What a nightmare A1 was by the way!! I am very happy with the way it turned out but as you see I did not adjust the pattern to make the outer square on point shape as suggested [and as I should have done] I left the lighter off-white pieces on the side in one piece. I actually started out with 8 over-sized half square triangles, pieced four together to make the octagon shape in the center, and then continually sewed [and un sewed and sewed and unsewed, etc....for hours]little parts of seams matching it to the photo in the book until I had it right. I think it would have been waaaaay faster to hand sew this one!

Now I will attach the three triangles - BR1, TR1 and TR3 and also the two blocks I have completed for next week. A7 and the ever so lovely A9. Thanks for that crayola piecing suggestion. I love it!!!! have grandsons and crayola paper galore here and it really does work to hold it up to the light even though it is opaque.

A pointer for sewing the white strip sections that go all the way around [3rd round from the square]. You should pick a side and sew it starting from halfway point to the edge that will be tucked under by the next piece. [If you look at the book or the instructions on thatquilt.com you will understand what I mean - I wanted mine to look like Jane's with all ends tucked under and this is the simplest way to accomplish]. Continue adding subsequent strips around clockwise [or counter-clockwise, whichever way you have it drawn on your paper] lastly you will finish sewing down the first strip towards the other end.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0831.jpg   dsc_0832.jpg