View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 07:18 AM
turner0106

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I guess I'm trying to keep my stitches to small also. I've been trying to keep them about 1/8" which is probably to small for a beginner. I've had yrs of sewing experience but not by hand. =) . But I wanted to do this to be able to pass something down to my family. Plus something about a quilt just gives that home feel. So I will keep trying and master this. I am using hand quilting needles I want to say I've been using a 7 and a 9. Tried both to see what felt better. Here is the link to the ones I got http://www.joann.com/fons-porter-han...9-10/prd53534/ I'm not sure if they are good needles or not. The pack just said Hand quilting. I'm also using the Clover leather coin thimble I tried the Dritz adjustable plastic one that has the back open so you can put your finger nail through it. But I found that I was using the pad of my finger not the top So i went went the Clover. We will see how it works. I am also taking my hoop back because its so big that I'm having a hard time with my hand on the under side of being able to hold the quilt and reach where I'm stitching. I may just buy a cheep small one for now until I get use to this and see what happens. I think I might also try laying it over a TV tray to help with the weight of the quilt. My quilt is an over sized King 105" x 108".

Thanks again everyone. I do not know what I'd do with out this board.