Old 03-01-2012, 07:50 AM
mjhaess
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I just received a Singer machine motor from another forum member. Or I should perhaps say, I received what was left of a Singer machine motor.
It arrived in a small cardboard box that was wadded up, mutilated, holed and taped up, and crushed.
The cast iron motor mount attached to the motor was broken, sheared off where it transitions from the motor to the pilar. The brush caps, both of them, are shattered. The rest of the motor looks to have survived but without the brush caps is dead on arrival.

The sender packed it in bubble wrap and that should have been sufficient. But with the USPS closing down many of the sorting stations it's my theory those that are still open are so overworked that they no longer care about what they are doing and simply throw the things around as fast as they can to get them moved along.

I don't know what to do about this, we didn't put insurance on it, and you know the management at the USPS will claim it wasn't packaged good enough. Pass the buck, blame anybody, never accept the responsibility.

Basically I posted this to let everyone know that when you ship something you need to over pack it.
When you think you have it packaged good enough, put two more layers on it.
Maybe even three.

I think this is going to be a really crappy week.

Joe
I feel for you. Don't try to recover any damages even if you do have insurance. I sent a box to my daughter-in-law with many new items for her and her husband. The box never got there. I had it insured for two hundred dollars. That was almost a year ago. I filed several claims with the post master general, but never was paid. It was a total loss to me. I had more than two hundred dollars worth of goods in the box but figured if I insured it , it would be sure to get there....WRONG......I also sent my grand-daughter a gift card in a card and it never got there.
I don't send anything by USPS that I want to be sure it arrives. I go with UPS. So far they have got things to where I send them in one piece. Sorry to ramble on but it just angers me....No wonder the postal system is going belly up.