View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 04:18 AM
Roben

LaurieJane, we have one of those - Hugs and sympathies to you!

Our neighbor suffered a terrible tragedy 3 years ago - but even before that I've been told she wasn't very nice. We moved here in April, and we have the 2 large dogs in my avatar. We brought the Boyz on the last trip, and I took them outside after we'd been here all of 20 minutes to start showing them the boundaries of their yard (there's no fence here.) Buddy (the brown/black one) got a little close to one of her bushes - and out she came with her hand raised. Yes, she was going to hit my dog - which we don't do, period. I stood there for a 10 minute lecture about misbehaving dogs - while my 2 sat patiently on either side of me :wink:

A friend of mine, after hearing about this incident, told me that my neighbor was misunderstood by many - and I trust my friend's judgment, so I decided to be as nice as I could. I've since found out that previous people here in the house had a fence kennel out back (I put a picnic table and flower pots there :D ) and had a philosophy about their dogs that is - well - different from ours. It has taken a few months, but our neighbor has now seen with her own eyes that my Boyz stay in their yard, aren't out without DH or I ever and they listen to us. (We're in town, not on an acreage.) I've made it a point to always say Hello, I've taken her some jam - and have sat with her and listened a little.

It's not all better - she's chopping down berry bushes and keeps talking about spraying weeds (we don't use chemicals like that), but it is better. Earlier this week she said hello to me first! After that first day, I would have never thought it - from her or from me (I was livid that someone would raise a hand to my dog, and especially for something so petty.) I gave us both a chance to be different, and I'm hoping it continues to improve. We'll never be best buds, but I'm shooting for civil at this point :wink:

I was told by the people that used to live here to get ready to have the Sheriff called about my dogs, complaints made to the City, etc. - but so far we've been cool. I really think she just needed a neighbor who would respect her desire to keep her landscaped yard in good order and someone to talk to occasionally. She still complains about things in general alot, but I just put up my invisible negativity deflectors :lol: and let her carry on for a moment - it passes, and we move on to something a bit more positive. It's well worth it to me to keep some peace!