View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Fabriclovr

Question Help with a baby quilt

This sounds strange coming from me, but I have a strange question, so here goes:

I have a friend that wants to make a baby quilt, this will be her 1st quilt. GREAT! Yeah, another convert.. but here is the problem... she says she has in her mind a picture of what the quilt should be and it is this:

A design by my choosing, simple but complicated looking. Ok, that's right up my alley, and she wants to put 'that soft stuff' (minky) on the back.. no prob, but I talked her out of it because of the price and we are going to go with polar fleece) But then she wants to bind the quilt with satin blanket binding WITH a ruffled edge! EEAAKK!! She wants to use yarn to tie the quilt.. ok with that as well, will do a few bar tacks and then go over them with yarn.. no brainer.

I am ok with everything else, done it a million times, and I can handle the satin binding (will have to do that one myself, I can see that one coming) but ruffles. <sigh>

Here is my question to all of you, how do I do that? Do I get satin yardage? Do I use extra binding? What would you use? I know that this will not be an easy binding to do. If we were using cotton on both sides, it would be as easy as to, but we are using polar fleece on the back and with the satin sewn to one side and turned, that is 3 layers and then with the polar fleece, that seam is going to be very thick! I may be able to stitch it by machine, but most likely by hand.

What are your suggestions other than to tell her that we cant do a ruffle and just do a straight binding?