View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 06:01 PM
CQMadhatter

Allison Aller, Judith Baker Montano, J. Marsha Michler, Barbara Randle and several others have books on Crazy quilts. There are many, many articles if you Google crazy quilts that will give you each person's view of crazy quilts - There is not just one view of crazy quilts...You will note in a previous comment that they did not suggest batting. I have made one crazy quilt with high loft batting that my parents loved. It went on a bed in their beach house and was especially appreciated when the air conditioning was cold and my parents were not young. I have also made crazy quilts without batting and some with a thin felt batting - It is all up to you. Most of the crazy quilts I have seen are put together by tying. I have done the embellishment usually before I tied the quilts because it is harder to hide my beginning knot when I am doing the pretty stitchery to embellish the seams. I do suggest, since ties are usually made of silk and when silk is "rubbed" it often frays easily, that you put a little thought into how it is stabilized or where it is on the quilt <an area that receives less wear and tear.>
I made a hexagonal jacket with 84 hexagons that I used some silk fabric that are red with butterflies with a couple of the patches and may have to replace one because of fraying. But most of all - enjoy the process!!!!

Last edited by CQMadhatter; 03-03-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: punctuation not right